This is one of the most common meditation/visualizations in witchcraft, and it is also one of my absolute favorites. It works to cleanse you of any impurities, refresh you, and re-connect you with the God/dess. This is truly an all-purpose meditation.
* * * * *
* Relax. (Use any type of relaxation method you feel like. This can be combined with control of breath.)
* Control your breath (to increase concentration).
* Focus your awareness on the physical body (following the breath, heart beat, etc.)
I've provided an outline, but the journey you take can be as intricate as you desire. You may want to start by visualizing a walk in the forest and incorporate with all of your senses, smell, hearing, taste, touch, and sight. If you do this, you will choose to either become a tree or enter a tree in the forest. If you are more of a beginner, I recommend that you become the tree. If you have done this before, or are comfortable doing visualizations go ahead and enter a tree. Just make sure you ask the trees' permission first!)
1. Stand straight and feel the earth beneath you.
2. Feel roots growing into the earth from the bottom of feet.
3. Send the roots down into the earth, moving deeper into the earth with each breath.
4. (If you are sitting, you may want to visualize the roots coming from the bottom of your spine instead of the feet.)
5. Focus on:
* Feeling the dirt.
* Sending roots to meet water.
* Sensing the pulse of the Mother Earth.
6. Spend time feeling the pulse.
When you are ready, grow branches into the sky.
7. Send branches upward from the crown of your head (alternatively, from the top of your spine through your crown).
8. Feel the branches reaching far overhead and into the sky.
* Feel the breeze through the branches.
* Sense the pulse of the sun's energy.
9. Draw the earth energy from your roots into your trunk.
10. Push that earth energy up and through your leaves into the sky.
11. Pull sky energy down through your trunk and into your roots.
12. Spend time feeling the two energies mingling and flowing through you.
When you feel it is time, return to human form.
13. Do this by slowly reversing through the steps above. It usually takes a lot less time than the original process. But take the time to do it slowly and carefully, in order to not unbalance your personal energy.
~from Maat's Book of Shadows